Seraf publishes industry leading materials on all aspects of early stage investing. But we also curate great pieces from the best and brightest in our industry to help you expand your angel education. Because we curate across many platforms, (you can follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google+) we have established an annual tradition of bringing you the best angel investing articles of the year, handpicked by our co-founders Hambleton Lord and Christopher Mirabile.
As we look back on 2016, here is a selection of the most interesting and informative pieces we read. From human capital to flying cars, from startup risk to board directors, from scaling your business to avoiding the Series A crunch, we salute the authors and hope this collection provides insights to make 2017 the best year yet.
- Hiring, the Single Most Important Skill as a Founder by Moritz Plassnig
- A longtime VC on the virtues of not swinging for the fences by Connie Loizos
- Flying cars are closer than you think by Marc Andreessen
- Before You Grow by Sam Altman
- How to avoid the Series A crunch by Brock Benefiel
- Venture Capital is About Human Capital by Mark Suster
- It’s what you ask, not what you know by Dave Berkus
- 'The rise of the rest': Why startup hubs outside Silicon Valley are built to last by Dino Vendetti
- MailChimp and the Un-Silicon Valley Way to Make It as a Start-Up by Farhad Manjoo
- Lessons scaling from 10 to 20 people by Joseph Walla
- Active vs Passive Investing by Fred Wilson
- Radical Candor — The Surprising Secret to Being a Good Boss by First Round Review
- Drew Houston of Dropbox: Figure Out the Things You Don't Know by Adam Bryant
- There are Only 3 Pricing Strategies for Your Startup by Tom Tunguz
- How To Beat Michael Jordan At Sports by Brad Feld
- ‘Give Away Your Legos’ and Other Commandments for Scaling Startups by First Round Review
- Thoughts on building weatherproof companies by Lars Dalgaard
- How To Recoup Difficult Angel Investments by Marianne Hudson
- Onboard your Board by Fred Wilson
- Startups are Risk Bundles by Leo Polovets
- The Case Against Startups Raising As Much Money As Humanly Possible by Craig Shapiro and Morgan Housel
Can’t wait until next year to see which articles Seraf recommends? Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ for shared posts on early stage investing, or subscribe to The Seraf Compass, your guide to making better investing decisions, minimizing risk and improving returns. You can also download our eBooks for free, or purchase Fundamentals of Angel Investing and Leaders Wanted: Making Startup Deals Happen at Amazon.com.