The Director’s Guidebook is a series of 15 articles focused on how to be an effective Board Director in early stage companies accompanied by additional resources and downloadable templates.
- Necessary Ingredients: Building a Great Board
- Under the Covers: Board Structure and Mechanics
- Noses in, Fingers out - How Boards Support Management Teams
- Spade Work: How Early Stage Board Directors Add Value
- Can You Hear Me Now? Building Great Director-CEO Communication
- Stitch in Time Saves 9: A Guide to Start-up Board Prep
- What's Your Point? Or How to Run a Great Board Meeting
- In the Foxhole: The Importance of Board Relationships
- Identifying Blind Spots: How to Make a CEO Successful in the Role
- First Round Draft Picks: Helping CEOs Build Great Teams
- Chemistry Experiment: Recruiting A New Director
- Hazard Pay: Fundamentals of Director Compensation
- Ignorance is Not a Defense: Legal Duties for Directors
- Guarding the Till: Basic Financial Controls
- CYA: Liability Insurance for Directors
To learn more about building strong board relationships, check out this related series of articles: Startup Board Dynamics.
Additional Resources and Templates:
- Seraf Toolbox: Guidelines for Successful Board Meetings and Investor Reports with Early Stage Companies
- Seraf Toolbox: Sample Board Meeting Dashboards for Early Stage Companies
- Seraf Toolbox: Sample Board Meeting Minutes for Early Stage Companies
- Seraf Toolbox: Writing Good Board Minutes - Top 10 Do's and Tips
- Seraf Toolbox: Writing Good Board Minutes - Top Ten Don’ts and Traps
- Seraf Toolbox: Dealing with Restricted Stock - Model IRS 83(b) Election Form
- Seraf Toolbox: Evaluating Board Performance - A Guide for Early Stage Companies
- Seraf Toolbox: Recruiting Guide for Early Stage Company Boards
- Seraf Toolbox: How to Conduct an Effective CEO Performance Review
- Smart Money: A Glossary of Directors and Officers Insurance
- Seraf Toolbox: Exit Planning for CEOs and the Board of Directors
To learn more about the roles and responsibilities of Directors, download this free eBook today Director's Guidebook: How to be an Effective Board Director in Early Stage Companies or purchase our books at Amazon.com.
Content from this series is also available as an instructional course. You can access Seraf's angel investing courses in PDF slide deck format or purchase them in book format from Amazon.
To learn more about other early stage investing topics, check out our series of articles.